- Jointly provided by Postgraduate Institute for Medicine (PIM) and The Myelodysplastic Syndromes Foundation (MDS)
- This activity is supported by an independent educational grant from Celgene
- This activity is supported by in-kind support from Morrell Instrument Company
This activity has been designed to meet the educational needs of physicians, nurses, pharmacists, social workers and psychologists involved in the care of patients with cancer: Haematology, Paediatrics, Medical Oncology, Oncology Nursing and Surgical Oncology
EDUCATIONAL OBJECTIVESAfter completing this activity, the participant should be better able to:
- Interpret and translate recent scientific and clinical advances in the field of myelodysplastic syndromes into clinical practice
- Explain the clonal architecture of MDS, as demonstrated by recent high-throughput gene sequencing techniques
- Describe recent research on spliceosome mutations, the most common class of somatic mutation in MDS
- Identify mechanisms by which the epigenome in MDS is altered including what genes important in transcriptional regulation are commonly mutated
- Utilize newer prognostic systems such as the Revised International Prognostic Scoring System
- Discuss new clinical trial designs to expedite evaluation of promising new therapies for MDS
- Integrate new knowledge of stem cell renewal and stem cell biology into the management of MDS patients
- Manage patients with therapy-related MDS/AML (t-MDS/AML)
- Identify best practices for disease modifying drug interventions for myelodysplastic syndromes
- Discuss recent technical, clinical, and basic research with potential to improve patient care and outcomes
- Evaluate evolving methods for MDS diagnosis, including flow cytometry and molecular profiling
Physician Continuing Medical EducationAmerican Medical Association
This activity has been planned and implemented in accordance with the Essential Areas and policies of the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education through the joint sponsorship of Postgraduate Institute for Medicine and the The Myelodysplastic Syndromes Foundation (MDS). The Postgraduate Institute for Medicine is accredited by the ACCME to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
The Postgraduate Institute for Medicine designates this live activity for a maximum of 26 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™
. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada
The Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada has agreements based on the mutual recognition of credit points with the American Medical Association for live educational events. You may submit your CME certificate directly for credit recognition of this accredited group learning activity (Section 1) as defined by the Maintenance of Certification program of The Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada. For more information, visit: www.royalcollege.ca
European Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (UEMS/EACCME)
The UEMS/EACCME has agreements based on the mutual recognition of credit points with the American Medical Association for live educational events. Each medical specialist should claim only those hours of credit that he/she actually spent in the educational activity. The EACCME is an institution of the European Union of Medical Specialists (UEMS): www.uems.net
Pharmacist Continuing EducationAccreditation Statement
|||Postgraduate Institute for Medicine is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education as a provider of continuing pharmacy education.|
Postgraduate Institute for Medicine designates this continuing education activity for 26 contact hour(s) (26 CEUs) of the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education.
(Universal Activity Number - 0809-9999-15-162-L01-P)
ACPE Credit Requests
PIM is required by the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE) to report pharmacy-requested CEUs through the CPE Monitor. All ACPE-certified activity credit requests need to be submitted through PIM’s CME University within 45-days post activity. Pharmacists will need to provide their National Association of Boards of Pharmacy (NABP) e-Profile ID and date of birth (MMDD) to ensure the data is submitted to the ACPE and NABP properly. If you need to obtain your NABP e-Profile, please visit www.cpemonitor.net.
Type of Activity
Nursing Continuing Education
|Postgraduate Institute for Medicine is accredited as a provider of continuing nursing education by the American Nurses Credentialing Center's Commission on Accreditation. |
This educational activity for 29 contact hours is provided by Postgraduate Institute for Medicine.
DISCLOSURE OF CONFLICTS OF INTEREST
Postgraduate Institute for Medicine (PIM) requires instructors, planners, managers and other individuals who are in a position to control the content of this activity to disclose any real or apparent conflict of interest (COI) they may have as related to the content of this activity. All identified COI are thoroughly vetted and resolved according to PIM policy. PIM is committed to providing its learners with high quality CME activities and related materials that promote improvements or quality in healthcare and not a specific proprietary business interest of a commercial interest.
The planners and managers reported the following financial relationships or relationships they or their spouse/life partner have with commercial interests related to the content of this continuing education activity:
The following PIM planners and managers, Trace Hutchison, PharmD, Samantha Mattiucci, PharmD, CHCP, Judi Smelker-Mitchek, RN, BSN and Jan Schultz, RN, MSN, CHCP, hereby state that they or their spouse/life partner do not have any financial relationships or relationships to products or devices with any commercial interest related to the content of this activity of any amount during the past 12 months.
To view the faculty disclosures, please click here
Disclosure of Unlabeled Use
This educational activity may contain discussion of published and/or investigational uses of agents that are not indicated by the FDA. The planners of this activity do not recommend the use of any agent outside of the labeled indications.
The opinions expressed in the educational activity are those of the faculty and do not necessarily represent the views of the planners. Please refer to the official prescribing information for each product for discussion of approved indications, contraindications, and warnings.
Participants have an implied responsibility to use the newly acquired information to enhance patient outcomes and their own professional development. The information presented in this activity is not meant to serve as a guideline for patient management. Any procedures, medications, or other courses of diagnosis or treatment discussed or suggested in this activity should not be used by clinicians without evaluation of their patient's conditions and possible contraindications and/or dangers in use, review of any applicable manufacturer's product information, and comparison with recommendations of other authorities.
Method of Participation and Request for Credit
We support Green CME by offering your Request for Credit and CME Certificate online. To do so, please follow the steps below no later than May 30, 2015:
- Go to CME University at: www.cmeuniversity.com and register or login
- Once logged in, click on "Find Post-test/Evaluation by Course" at the top of the page
- Type in "10599" in the box, and hit enter
- Click on the activity title
- Complete the online evaluation and obtain your CME certificate to download and/or print for your files
Upon completion of the online Evaluation form, you will have immediate access to a CME certificate to print or save for your files. You can save your certificate by selecting the "Save" option on the print screen. If you have any questions regarding the CME certification for this activity, please contact the CME provider Postgraduate Institute for Medicine (PIM) at: email@example.com.
AMERICANS WITH DISABILITIES ACT
|||Event staff will be glad to assist you with any special needs (ie, physical, dietary, etc). Please contact Raya Van Hugten prior to the live event at firstname.lastname@example.org.|